General Support Sites
Mental Health and Young People
- Provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK if you are experiencing a mental health crisis
- If you need urgent help text YM to 85258
- All texts are answered by trained volunteers, with support from experienced clinical supervisors
- Texts are free from EE, O2, Vodafone, 3, Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile, GiffGaff, Tesco Mobile and Telecom Plus.
- Comforts, advises and protects children 24 hours a day and offers free confidential counselling.
- Phone 0800 1111 (24 hours)
- Chat 1-2-1 with a counsellor online
- 24 hour confidential listening and support for anyone who needs it. (Adults included.)
- Phone 116 123 (24 hours)
- Advice about dealing with teenagers’ anger and aggressive behaviour
- Free and confidential talking support with Live Chat via website.
- Other counselling available - telephone, messaging, webcam - charges apply.
CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably)
- Offers support to young men in the UK who are feeling down or in a crisis.
- Helpline: 0800 58 58 58 (Daily 17:00- 0:00)
- Online advice and information on anger, teens and boundaries, discipline, lying and stealing and violence.
Gangs and young people (NSPCC)
- Advice for parents worried about their children’s involvement in gangs
- 24 hours Freephone helpline: 0808 800 5000
- 70 alternative ways to channel your anger! And 10 tips for parents about talking to teenage boys
You may find these links helpful:
Drugs and Alcohol in young people
Download the full Parents help guidelines:
A guide to start the conversation with your son:
You might find these links helpful with Drug and Alcohol support for your son:
Provides honest information about drugs and alcohol.
Live chat service also available (2 - 6pm, 7 days a week).
Information on accessibility, confidentiality and cost available here.
Phone: 0300 123 6600
Opening times: 24/7
We are with you
Offers free, confidential support to people experiencing issues with drugs, alcohol or mental health.
Free webchat service available.
Opening times: 9am - 9pm, Monday to Friday; 10am - 4pm, weekends
Provide support, information and advice about the impact of alcohol on you, your family or friends.
Free webchat service available.
Phone: 0300 123 1110
Opening times: 9am - 8pm, Monday - Friday; 11am - 4pm, weekends
Offers support for young people who have relatives and friends that are alcoholics. Alateen is part of Al-anon who provide support for those who have been affected by alcohol.
Email support is available via their online contact form.
Phone: 0800 0086 811
Opening times: 10am - 10pm, seven days a week
If you’re under 19 you can confidentially call, chat online or email about any problem big or small.
Can provide a BSL interpreter if you are deaf or hearing-impaired.
Hosts online message boards where you can share your experiences, have fun and get support from other young people in similar situations.
Phone: 0800 1111
Opening times: 9am - midnight, 365 days a year
Offers support to anyone under 25 about anything that’s troubling them.
Email support available via their online contact form.
Free 1-2-1 webchat service available.
Free short-term counselling service available.
Phone: 0808 808 4994
Opening times: 4pm - 11pm, seven days a week
County Lines and Gangs with Young People
Government parent guidelines for County Lines:
If you think a young person you know could be in danger call 999, or if you have non-urgent information to share with the police, contact Crime stoppers on 0800 555 111.
Supporting your son with exam stress
Create a safe and positive learning environment by agreeing ground rules for the session
Talking about sex with young people
Sexting and young people